My Blog List

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Road Trip to Yosemite National Park


To our destination Yosemite National Park Chris and I decided to take the coastal route 101 to the 1. It was a beautiful drive along the Oregon and Northern California coast.


We stopped a lot to take in the views. I guess that's why it took us 14 hours to get us to our first destination. OOPS

Big Foot lives in the Redwood Forest, so I have been told.


Tree hugger......I heart redwoods!! but.....
I think I have been living in Oregon too long I was caught wearing socks with sandals.


These are my new thrift store glasses, Blue blockers. I got a little nerdy with them and took some photos through the yellow lenses. I love the way the lens changes the colors and makes the photos look old.


Its hard to see the smoke in this picture but there was a fire in Yosemite that closed down part of the park while we were there. The first day was pretty clear but after the breeze died down the park got pretty hazy.


Chris, Lani and I went horse back riding up to Mirror Lake.


My mule "Priscella" had a mind of her own. When she decided she needed a snack she would take advantage of me by leaving the path to get some grass or pine needles. It was funny, this stubborn mule would take me into the meadow and wouldn't turn around until she got mouthful. It was like riding a vacuum with a brain!!


The view was so beautiful but you can see the haze from the fires in these pictures.






Swimming in the Merced river was ssssoooooo cold but it felt good after a day of sun.


Joey brought this scary mask along, it seemed to come out at the most random times.



The only wildlife we saw besides squirrels. Deer, deer everywhere!!


The tunnel to Glazier Point, I like the colors in this photo.


We drove up the mountain to watch the sunset. Its hard to capture a moment like this on film.


Here I am. Tara and Joey


Campfire girls


That Dang mask out again. CREEPY!!



Chris and I hiked up to the viewpoint of Vernal Falls and then down the over 600 stone staircase steps. The hike was intense it was switchback straight up the mountain. I was so pooped by the end of the hike I felt nauseous. The hike down those stone steps where so hard on my knees. They felt like they were on fire, the only thing that eased the pain was soaking my knees in the Merced River.
Overall, its always worth it though!!

Same picture with and without the blue blocker glasses.


After saying goodbye to all my old friends. Chris and I drove to Lake Tahoe outside of Reno to hang out by the lake and go swimming.
We stopped in Reno for a night to say hi to Mike and friends before heading back to Portland. We ate a supper yummy home cooked dinner and road bikes around the town.

Mike told us on our way back to Portland we had to check out the subway caves by Mt. Shasta. They were old lava tubes that you can walk through.


Walking into the tubes the temperature change was immediate. It dropped to probably 60 degrees from 100 degrees outside. It was crazy, it was so cold and so dark my head lamp couldn't even focus on the darkness to light up the caves. The only way to see what you were walking into was to take a picture with the flash of a camera. It was such a weird feeling to be completely surround by cold and darkness.

Goodbye Yosemite and Goodbye friends. I am looking forward to next summer already......

4 comments:

woodenheart said...

Love your photos Emily! Can't wait for next year!

Marcy said...

Sure did enjoy these pictures! Looks like you had a blast! Love you.

The Hettinger Homestead said...

I can't wait until you make your way down a bit further south! Looks like you had fun.
P.S. You're so pretty- even when roughing it.

goldlionaz said...

Em, your camping pictures look great. Blu blockers are trippy, what neat picture ideas.

ps: you have been tagged :)