My Blog List

Friday, September 26, 2008

Big Sky state here I come

Hi, I just got home from a 5 day long road trip up to the big sky state.....Montana. I drove from Portland, Oregon to Glazier National Park in northern Montana with my friends Cheryl and Chris. It took 12 hours to get there but the drive was scenic and fun. This was my first glimpse of the park at McDonald Lake just before sunset, I couldn't see much the first day because of the cloud coverage.The next day after the clouds burned off these where the mountains that were hiding behind McDonald Lake. The water in McDonald Lake was so calm and still I was afraid to breathe. The reflection on the water helps portray this stillness. It only lasted long enough before I found some flat rocks and decided to skip stones on the surface.We didn't see much wildlife on our trip, I think all the bear warnings scared us too much and we frightened everything away with our bells and hooting. I did however see this deer in the forest when we first got to the park. I was pretty excited.
We were warned from the second we entered the park that this was "Bear Country,"and we needed to be very careful. To protect ourselves we wore bells around ankles so we jingled when we walked, which was supposed to warn the bears of our presence. Here is me with my bell.....

This picture was taken at Two Medicine Lake. It was so cold, it snowed on us our first night. I was so happy I just bought that 15 degree sleeping bag because I definitely needed it. This was the view from our campsite at Two Medicine Lake.This was our first hike into the park. It took all day we hiked 10 miles round trip to Iceburg Lake. The hike was so beautiful, It is sure hard to catch the beauty in a photo. Fresh snow just fell, but the summertime flowers were still peaking through.






This is Iceburg Lake, with real iceburgs actually in the lake.
Throughout the center of the park is "Going to the Sun" road. Its a 50 miles road through the middle of the park. We drove this road up to the closure (1/2 of the road was already closed for the season) at Logan's Pass. Here is Cheryl and Chris my traveling buddies.
Me next to Bird Woman Falls.You can take a red bus tour on the "Going to the Sun" road, or you can just pose in front of the bus and pretend you did. From Logan's Pass we hiked 3 miles to Hidden Lake searching for wild mountain goats and sheep.
On the hike there was animal prints in the snow, we heard they were Wolverine tracks. I didn't even know Wolverines really existed outside of X-Men.
Here I am 4 days without a shower hiking in the Glazier Mountains.
We made it to Hidden Lake, the hike was worth it even though we didn't see any mountain goats, sheep or Wolverines.


I heart Montana........










1 comment:

bethanynericks said...

wow em...i am so envious! montana is so beautiful! i can't wait to see where you go next! love you!

love, bethany